Shanghai

Construction site near the Bund. All of China seems to be a building site.


These women served my first meal in China, a bowl of steaming dumplings. YUM


You see people playing this checkers game everywhere. A lot of the time the boards are homemade and there is often a few people watching. I watched these guys for ages, but couldn't figure it out. The man on the right won.


View from a temple near the old town. Much of the old town is being demolished and replaced with ready made communities. These walls were plastered with ads for the townhouse and tranquil life that would soon be built there. The people represented in the ads were mostly foreigners.


mmm...smoked chicken...I think.


This man was watching the checker players with me.


I think she is making some kind of rice paper. It was thinner than a wafer and very white.


An inviting ride at Renmin Park.


This kid is rad! He showed me how to let off crackers.


Markets in the old town.


mmm...a bag of bull frogs.


Markets in the old town.


Chinese New Year decorations waiting to be hung up.


The snow was so bad they had to call in the Army to sweep it up from Nanjing Mall. You wouldn't want some pesky snow to stop all that good consuming.


The Bund


Me in Renmin Park.


Crazy advertising boat. It's not obvious but that is a giant LCD screen playing non-stop ads. Yay.


Chinese New Year decor.



If someone could translate this I would be grateful.



Market goods in front of ad for new estate community, old town.


Melon cat!



An artful disposal of the bamboo sticks used for meaty snacks.








Eels!





Just think of the tasty possibilities!
















They might look like moving cow patties, but I'm really annoyed that I didn't get to try eating any soft-shell turtle.


Shanghai apartments viewed from the Jinmao tower.


I can't say I loved being in the tower, mainly because there were hundreds of people up there and only one lift.


Jinmao Tower.


This was too lame and cool for words. You go behind a screen and, for the viewing pleasure of your friends, you are projected into an 'old-shanghai' street. I didn't have any friends so had to make do with these guys.





You can buy anything you want in China, including tiger claws, antelope horns and other endangered animals. I got busted taking this pic and when I refused to pay they got a little aggro so I had to make a hasty retreat.


This man was really excited to see me and made me pose for a photo, so I took one of him. We met in the Postal Museum of Shanghai - yep, I saw all the tourist highlights.

















This is LAME Monkey Magic currently being watched by Chinese kids. I can only hope that one day they download the awesome Japanese version and learn the real meaning of being born in an egg.


Big Jeff Koons-style enamel flowers.


No comments: