Xian

Looking up at the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, built in honour of the travelling Buddhist Xuanzang, also known as Tripitaka.




Statue in the gardens of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.





A statue of THE Tripitaka!!!




View from the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.




View from the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.





Inside the pagoda you could buy these rubbings.





I love this man. He was getting his photo taking in front of Xuanzang's statue and must have held that pose for a good 10 mins.





I think these are prayer cards.




Wall detail from the Great Mosque.




Doors in the Great Mosque. The mosque is the largest in China and is an amazing place to see unrenovated Chinese buildings with strong Arabic influences.




Me the and bone rattler that I hired to cycle the 14kms of the Xian city walls. An old man was very excited by my ride so took this pic for me.




View from the Xian city walls.






It gets kinda hard to know if you are seeing something genuinely old or recently rebuilt, so I was fascinated by this pre-fab 'traditional style' building being constructed in Xian. It's just near the south gate, so if anyone goes there when it is complete please tell me what it has become. I'm guessing a shopping centre.







Fur pelts for sale outside Xian on the way to the Terracota Warriors.




Chinglish in overdrive! Man's extendable style? I think the label says it all.






If only I could have my year 12 formal all over again ...






Pop-up restaurant! The BEST thing ever. If only Melbourne was more liberal with it's hygiene laws...






Lanterns on the city walls.




Hup two, three, four...











All the King's army...
I had no idea they were all busted up when they were discovered. Could you imagine putting them together?




View from a bus window, outside Xian.




These guys were demolishing this building by hand.




No comments: